Financial Coach & Community Activist
Lavichia Jones is a native of Stockton, where she attended Lincoln High School and graduated from San Joaquin Delta Community College with a degree in business administration and management. Since 2014, she has worked at World Financial Group, where she is a full-service financial professional.
Jones has 20 years of experience advocating for her community with multiple organizations, including her local PTSA, School Site Council, and Parent Advisory Committee. She has mentored and coached youth and has also worked with the Parent Leadership Training Institute. She says that this experience in support of the Stockton community has inspired her to empower her neighbors to use their voices to bring about universal change.
As a candidate for Trustee Area 3, Jones believes that Stockton needs to establish programs to adequately equip students to achieve their goals regardless of their background. She says that her top priority as a new school board member will be to ensure the physical and emotional safety of students, teachers, and staff — whether it be safety from COVID-19, bullying, or abuse. Additional priorities that Jones has identified include:
- Build trust and safety — around students, staff, and parents.
- Establish programs — on entrepreneurship, ethnic studies, home economics, and financial literacy.
- Ensure every child’s future — which should not be defined by their parent’s race, zip code, or income.
- Expand STEM/STEAM, AVID and IB — and make these courses available in all schools.
- Increase student participation — in youth programs that offer job training skills.
Jones and her late husband raised two sons, both of whom are recent Stockton USD graduates, and have two grandchildren who will be attending SUSD schools soon.